Scroll down for specific information on each event
International Family Drug Support Day first started in 2016 and is held annually on or around 24 February to draw attention to the importance of families affected by alcohol and/or drugs, including the benefits of supporting families. When families are given education, awareness and tips on coping and keeping safe, the outcome for everyone is improved.
From small beginnings it has grown to international events in most Australian major cities and several overseas. The overall theme for the FDS events is Support the Family-Improve the Outcome and the theme for 2024 is Supported Families - Stronger Communities.
Events feature key speakers addressing key objectives:
- Reducing shame, stigma and discrimination in families.
- Promoting support services for families and friends affected by drug use.
- Promoting harm reduction strategies to keep people safe, including heroin prescription, pill testing and decriminalisation of the use of drugs.
The day aims to highlight:
- The importance of volunteers in providing family support across Australia.
- Reducing fatal and non-fatal overdoses and other critical incidences as a result of drug use.
- Promoting greater support and resources for treatment services.
- How giving people support and education can help families develop skills and strategies to deal with issues arising from drug use.
"Any family anywhere, regardless of background, economic and other circumstances can be affected by drugs. We hope this annual event will reach members of the community and change some of the negative attitudes that exist." Tony Trimingham, Founder and CEO of Family Drug Support.
"The weight of the world was on my shoulders. We were so ashamed and alone - then we found support and things changed" Viola - Mother
"What a difference it made being able to talk and have someone listen with empathy, and not tell me I was a bad parent or my approach was wrong. I can ring anytime and get stuff off my chest" Carlos - Father.
We look forward to having you join us at any one of our events to mark International Family Drug Support Day. You can find more information and register for any of our 2024 events here: International Family Drug Support Day Events 2024
Supported Families - Stronger Communities